May 10, 2011

colic.

I feel like i'm saying the C-word.
Colic.
The strict medical definition of colic is a condition of a healthy baby in which it shows periods of intense, unexplained fussing/crying lasting more than 3 hours a day, more than 3 days a week for more than 3 weeks.

Before this baby was born, if you would have asked me what my "talent" was, I would have told you-- babies.
I do babies.
I'm good at babies.
Babies are my favorite.
I love fussy babies, and happy babies, and tired babies, and sick babies.
I have had many, and borrowed many, and babies are my thing.
giving eve a pacifier in the hospital...
I have never used a pacifier, because my theory has always been "if a baby is fussy, give them what they need and they will be happy."
With all my kids, crying meant they were hungry or tired or wet or burpy... I would fix their need and they would be happy, content and peaceful.
I'm very good at "baby whispering", I could talk baby talk and my babies are VERY content, happy babies.

But, this baby is giving me a run for my money.
I laughed when I read the definition of colic-- fussing or crying for 3 hours a day, more than 3 days a week...  um, try 10 hours a day, every day.
This sweet baby is very rarely content. 
CONTENTMENT is the difference between this baby and every other baby I've given birth to. 
She's just sad.
Not crying all the time, because I'm pretty good at bouncing and swaddling and distracting her... but, if I slow down for one minute, she's fussy.
She wakes up sad, and she goes to bed sad. 
The only time I can lay her down in her bed is if she is in a deep sleep.
She only sleeps if she doesn't hear any loud noises or have any burps or toots.
This baby is a lot of work.

The hardest thing about having a fussy baby is that when she cries all the time, I feel like a failure.
I pray and pray for WISDOM in mothering this baby, and I just don't know what to do to help her be happier.
And, I don't get much sleep... I'm so tired.

Honestly, babies are still my thing. 
And, I can DO a fussy baby. 
But, that is ALL I can do.
It is VERY hard for me to do anything besides this baby. 
And, I'm really sick of my husband or kids having to pick up my slack. 

The first night Eve was alive, the professor and I were both up all night in the hospital with her.  She was fussy all night long.  I remember laughing with Todd as we swaddled and bounced and sang and burped her.  We had never experienced an inconsolable baby before.
The nurse gave us one of those hospital baby brushes and we brushed her hair-- she loved it and was just happy for a few minutes while we brushed.  We were both like, Quick!  Take a picture, she's happy.

For the first four weeks, the only time Eve was content was when she was nursing... and nursing was excruciatingly painful for me.
Now, I thank God EVERY TIME I nurse-- because it isn't painful anymore.
I really think that God let me experience Very Hard so that I would be very grateful for just a little bit hard.

My baby doesn't CRY all the time.
She's little and she needs sleep.  Because she isn't great at sleeping for long periods of time, I can often nurse her and then hold her like I'm nursing her with a pacifier in her mouth and she will sleep.
It's not a restful sleep, she's still squirmy and gassy, but she will sleep when I'm holding her.
So, at church or activities, I usually have her fed and resting in my arms. 
She seems content. 
But people don't realize that I have been HOLDING her for the past 24 hours.

She screams in the car. 
She screams in a sling or carrier or car seat or swing. 
She's particularly fussy between 6pm and 1am.

And, she is SO CUTE!
She smiles and tries to coo sometimes-- oh how I love her happy moments.
How I cherish the times when I can just hold her and she's calm.

I HATE admitting to people that I'm having a hard time with this baby.
I hate it.
Babies are my thing.
But, I can't not tell the truth. 
When people ask me how it's going I try to say "great!" But, I have to add, "She's a fussy little thing and it's hard."

I would pick this trial.
Sometimes I laugh because really there is NOTHING I would rather do in the world than bounce a baby.
Need an excuse not to fold the laundry, I've got one.
But, I keep thinking I should be better at this by now.

Yesterday, I had gotten no sleep, so after the kids went to school, the professor took the baby and told me to lay down. 
I can't sleep when I hear the baby fussing in the family room-- that's part of the colic-curse.
She's my baby and I'm connected to her.  If she's sad, I'm sad too.
Then someone called and asked to go through our house at 12:30.
Todd and I both worked for a few hours to get the house straightened up, the lawn mowed, and the little girls dressed.
(I cleaned one handed, holding the baby in my other hand.)
I had to find a home for my dog and I took to little girls to McDonald's from 12:30 to 2pm.
The baby was pretty good, because I fed her before we left and held her when we got there. 
(She screamed the whole time in the car so she was pretty tired.)
Leah and Lily missed naps and were pretty fussy.
We got home and then I had to pack everybody into the car again at 3pm to pick the bigger kids up from school.
Poor eve was not so happy in the car the second time either.
By the time I got home, my toddlers were tired and cranky, my baby was over-tired and very fussy AND I told my big kids no TV because we had decided this weekend they were watching too much.
It was CRAZY.
Since the professor didn't get up to school till noon, he was planning on staying up there till 11pm to work on his dissertation. 
I called him around 5:30pm saying that I just couldn't get dinner on the table.
I HATE admitting defeat. 
He came home and cooked dinner.
I comforted the baby and directed the big kids into baths and pj's and bed.
I finally was able to lay the baby down at 11pm and she slept till 3am!! 
It was nice.  I fed her and she went back to sleep till 6:30 am.
(Most nights I feed her at 10pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, 6am... etc. and, she's fussy in between.)
She was up and fussy all morning-- but finally she zonked out around 10 and that's when I took a minute to write this blog.
I can hear her squirming now.
So, this is my life.
I don't think it will be this hard for long. 
Already it is getting better-- the days are pretty good.
And, I got a 4 hour block of sleep last night!!
I just want you to know that I have learned...
Colic is real.
And, it's hard. 

And I still really, really love this little stink.

This is one of those posts that I hate pushing publish post on.
I feel compelled to be REAL, but I wish I could always be ROSY.

9 comments:

Heather said...

have you ever tried gripe water for baby? I've had some friends say that helped calm tummies. sigh... what a hard thing though. i hope her tummy feels better soon.

thanks for posting the info about the swaddling blankets... i was going to ask you about those.

Cox Family said...

This is exactly how I felt with Sam. Lillie was the easiest baby ever and I thought I knew everything about having a baby and that it wasn't hard like some people were saying. Sam humbled me. He was fussy for the first three months and had colic (meaning he cried all day besides two 20 minute naps, whether I was holding him or not) until about 6 months. The thing I learned is that you're right, it doesn't last forever, now Sam is happy and so good, but it's hard when you're in the thick of it. Good luck and let me know if we can do anything for you like dinner or something. You're not admitting defeat, you're admitting you're human.

LAURA said...

It'll get better, I can't imagine already having 6 kids though, please ask your mom or mother in law to come help, for ATLEAST a month or two. This is crisis mode for you and baby.

My first was the worst, sounds just like Eve, crying nonstop except when nursing, did all the swaddling, pacifier, turning vaccuum on close by. I felt like such a failure and also secretly MAD that I didn't get the first baby experience that everyone else had. But the next two have been a little easier, but still not like other peoples babies. It gets a lot better around 6 months. and gripe water does nothing, nothing really works, but it doesn't hurt to try so you feel like you're doing something. (It's just good for me to hear that a baby whisperer like you has had a colicky baby, like it's not all in my head or something I just couldn't handle or didn't do right.)

Cluff Chronicles said...

I can feel your pain because I have had five babies just like this one. I have always been amazed at babies that would just sit and be content. If it will make you feel any better, I have found that fussy babies are easy toddlers. I think you put so much into them the first few months that they don't try you as much latter on, but I know that doesn't help for now. Bring her to my house and I will walk with her and keep her happy while you have a break. I promise I have a lot of patients.

beckyjune said...

Funny...I just watched a dvd in the NICU today on this very thing...the period of purple crying. I'd never heard it called that before but ther are websites about it, too: http://www.purplecrying.info/

Some babies are easy and some go through this and they just cry. Not because anything is wrong and often times there is NOTHING you can do to calm them and it drives parents crazy but it tends to ease up around 5 months, some earlier but it's just as you are describing with the time of day, etc. It makes some parents feel useless, like a failure because nothing they do seems to solve the problem. I hope it's short-lived for little Eve.

Ann said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. My son was my hard baby. I went through very similar things....with nursing AND with a fussy, crying baby. It turned out he had silent reflux. It took me forever to convince the doctor that there really was something wrong because he was gaining weight and didn't spit up all the time. I didn't want to settle for the colic diagnosis. I knew he was in pain. So I kept pushing and kept talking to my lactation consultant who knew us well by this time. And finally when my son was 4 months old, my lactation consultant convinced the doctor that there really was something wrong. My baby was in pain. And so she gave me a prescription for Prevacid (I think it was Prevacid anyway...it was 8 years ago). Within a week he was a new baby. Happy, laughing, content. It was beautiful. He ended up out-growing the reflux by the time he was 6 or 7 months and we were able to wean him off the meds. But boy was I grateful that they helped so much, and I was also angry it took so long to convince the doctor.

If you think it might be reflux instead of colic, I'd for sure run it by your doctor. And if you're not comfortable with giving a baby meds, I've heard great things about hazelwood necklaces. Apparently they work wonders for reflux.
Here's a link w/info about hazelwood:
http://hyenacart.com/stores/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?c=63&p=50010

And here's where you can buy the necklaces:
http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?c=115

I don't know if Baby Eve has reflux, but I thought I'd throw that possibility out there in case it was something you didn't know about or hadn't thought of.

I hope she and you get feeling better soon. I know how hard it is to have a baby that just won't settle.

Jennifer said...

My son was like this too. Turns out he was intolerant to the protein in milk and soy. Have you tried adjusting your diet? It made a world of difference for him, he was a totally different baby. Best of luck!

CTR Mama said...

Isn't it liberating just to have a name for it? It took me 3 months to admit that my baby was "difficult" and after that, I felt much better. She didn't change, but just admitting that she was hard to care for 24/7 gave me permission to be less hard on myself for all of the people and stuff not getting my attention. I wished I could put my kids in suspended animation and then live in a hotel with room service until it passed. I didn't mind constantly attending to her--it was the rest of life I had trouble fitting in. I just did the best I could and waited it out. You will make it and Eve will suddenly blossom one of these days into a happier baby. Call your visiting teachers and ask them to come do your laundry and dishes. They'll welcome the chance to be useful. (I'm sure you would gladly do it for someone else!)

The Beers said...

At a church Christmas craft activity, when I was exhausted from holding my colicky baby for 16-18 hours a day for 3 1/2 months, learning how to do everything one handed, and feeling helpless and so alone during the 5-8 hours a day when he would cry, this sweet mother of 6 told me that only the really good moms get those babies because they take so much patience, energy, and love. That really helped hearing that from an experienced mom to me, a first-timer wondering what I wasn't doing right, and thought I would pass that information back to you :) Oliver is now a happy, wonderful toddler, and a breeze!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...