December 04, 2008

fleece blankets...

It is always hard to think of boy presents... this year, we are loving these fleece blankets. I told you about Jakob's Texas Tech/Texas Longhorn blanket. HE LOVES IT!! It is the first thing he cuddles in each night, and he grabs it anytime we snuggle down for a movie night.
This is a Christmas gift I'm just about to send off...
Blanket How-To...
You need-
2 yards of fleece for the front and 2 yards for the back
**if you want to add a name you need 1/8 yard of a coordinating fabric and 1/8 yard of Heat n Bond light
Applique the name on first-
(I type the letters in a fun font on the computer and print them out using 'mirror image'.)
Trace the letters (backwards!!) onto the Heat n Bond light.
Iron the Heat n Bond onto the 1/8 yd contrasting fabric.
Cut out the letters.
Iron the cut out letters onto the fleece backing.
(To be sure I didn't melt the fleece, I layered the backing, the letters, and then a piece of cotton fabric while ironing.)
Stitch around the letters using a zigzag or applique stitch.
Easy Blanket Assembly-
Lay the top and the bottom pieces of fleece on top of each other on the floor just like you want the blanket to look- wrong sides on the inside.
Trim around the edges to be sure that both pieces are the same side.
Cut a 4x4 inch square out of each corner.
Use that 4x4 scrap to help you measure and cut strips aprox. 1.5 inches apart and 4 inches long all around the blanket. Cut through the top and bottom at the same time.
Knot the fringe (be sure you tie each fringe twice for one knot).
Tah DAH! My kids are really great at tying the fringe, but I cut the edges myself so they stayed fairly even.
Have Fun!

1 comment:

Shelley Gee said...

Jen! I love this. I have had a piece of fleece that I have wanted to make into a cute blanket but I had no idea how and this is perfect!!! So I just printed the whole thing and I am going to do it. I am SOOOOOOOOO excited! Thank you!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...