August 04, 2009

fun food...

I KNOW that I'm weird like this.... When I go to the grocery store I just LOVE to buy weird stuff and let my kids "EXPERIENCE" different foods. Thank Heaven for google so I can figure out how to cook or peel them. This week we tried Jicama and Plantains... Jicama is kinda a mix between apple and potato... Plantains, kinda like fried bananas... :) No, my kids don't scarf down the food. But, it's not about the food... it's about the experience. Someday they'll be able to say, "Yeah, I've eaten that."

7 comments:

Ann said...

We love jicama at our house. :) Sometimes if you get it just right, it tastes like sweet peas. YUM!

Tiffany said...

Love, LOVE jicama! Grew up eating it! (Didn't know everyone didn't eat it until I moved from San Diego...) But plaintains? Ugh--made my stomach lurch just looking at the picture. (BAD experience on my mission... I'll spare you the details.) Jen, I adore how you create "new" experiences for your kiddos... and let me share, ableit virtually!!!:-)

Yayi said...

I just looooove jicama!!! you just need to sprinkle salt, cayenne pepper and some lime juice on it to make perfect!!!
Plantain??? mmmhhh? no thanks!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Great idea...they don't have to love it, just to know what "it" is and say they've tried it is a wonderful idea!!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Great idea...they don't have to love it, just to know what "it" is and say they've tried it is a wonderful idea!!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Great idea...they don't have to love it, just to know what "it" is and say they've tried it is a wonderful idea!!!

corrie said...

I really like Jicama, but I can't find it here...I may have to look a little harder cause now I am wanting some. Never done the plantains. Looks nummy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...