January 10, 2010

2010 family scripture plan... and why i believe in modern-day revelation

i'm excited to start a new year of scripture study and plans with my kids.
we are going to tackle the OLD TESTAMENT this year for morning scripture study.
yeah, i know. 
we'll be keeping up with the gospel doctrine lessons each week...
and FRIDAYS, we're doing scripture mastery.  
Memorizing one scripture and playing games.
So fun!! 
My kids memorize fast when I make a poster with the scripture reference and the first letter of each word in the scripture. 
for example, the first scripture was
Moses 1:39  For behold, this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
I would write... Moses 1:39  F  b, t i m w a m g t b t p t i a e l o m.
and we just repeat it over and over.
I also LOVE this link...   where you can find SONGS to go with each of the scripture master scriptures.

EVERYONE should learn this cute song about the 10 commandments!

We are also having a lesson tomorrow night on personal scripture study.  I bought a workbook by Bradley R. Wilde (i can't find it online), for each of the kids.  It has questions about each of the chapters in the Book of Mormon.  When the kids have READ the chapter and answered the questions they get to put a sticker on their Reading Chart.

I USED THIS CHART... that i found on this website  www.laceyloub.blogspot.com  
and just stuck it in my Family Binder.

We're doing one chapter a week from the new Gospel Principles manual for family home evening.  I'm excited to get back to the basics with my kids.

Just a note to my non-mormon friends...  As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe in modern-day revelation.  I believe that the King James Version of the Bible is the most correct translation of the Bible, and I believe in additional scripture, including the Book of Mormon which is a record of Christ's dealings with the people on the American continent when he came to earth.  I also believe that we have a modern-day prophet on the earth today.  I believe that God is real and that He speaks to men.  He has spoken to men since the time of Adam and He continues to guide and direct us through a modern-day prophet.  I believe that he is constant and consistent.  He spoke His Word then,  to many peoples, and He speaks still.  Ancient scripture, modern-day revelation, and most importantly the sweet promptings of the Spirit that I receive daily, have all combined to teach me all that I know of God and His Son Jesus Christ.  So, when I quote scriptures that you may not have heard...  this is why.  But I do KNOW that the God I worship is the same God that you worship.  His words are the same and are familiar no matter where or when they are spoken. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your plan! I like the idea of using the new Gospel Principles each week to reinforce the basics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...