March 20, 2012

I believe in baptisms for dead people. yes i do.

Salt Lake City, 2010
my aunt and i have been having an interesting (in my opinion) conversation about the Mormon practice of baptism for the dead.
she showed me these two articles here (Is Elvis a Mormon?) and here (Elie Weisel, Mitt Romney should say something), that basically say the same thing.
It is outrageous that Mormons should perform proxy baptisms for people who were not Mormon while they were alive.
The authors, and those quoted, find this practice offensive and arrogant.
Maybe you agree with them.

What do I think?
Why, thanks for asking...
i wholeheartedly disagree.
This is what i believe...
{i will not apologize for the fact that this is LONG... if you have read any of my blog posts prior to this point you KNOW that i am not concise...  yet.}

1.  Baptism is an earthly, physical ordinance that is essential for eternal exaltation.
Almost all organized religions believe that some form of ORDINANCE is required for salvation.  This idea is not unique to Mormonism.  Christ, when he was on the earth, was baptized to "fulfill all righteousness."  We believe that baptism is an essential gate through which all must pass to receive eternal exaltation.

2. We perform baptisms for the dead because we believe that EVERYONE will one day have the opportunity to accept or reject Christ, even if they died without that opportunity.  Inside Mormon temples, members of the church are able to do "proxy baptisms" for people who have died.  We are encouraged to find the names and dates of our own personal ancestors and do the temple work for them- baptizing and sealing them to their spouses eternally.  Mormons are really great at compiling family histories.  Some Mormons do temple work for famous people-- like CS Lewis.  Even though the church has repeatedly discouraged doing temple work for famous people.  Poor man has been baptized many times by well-meaning Mormons.  (Not really, i mean, he's not wet or anything.  this just means that more than one person has held a piece of paper with his name on it as they went through the temple.)  I'm certain that wherever he is, CS isn't hurting at all because some Mormons are wasting their time.  My opinion is that these are just over-zealous, well-meaning, CS Lewis loving people... they are the outlaying minority not the mainstream majority.  Most of us are focused on learning about our own ancestors and remembering them as we go to the temple each month.  Is Elvis Mormon?  You never know. {smile}  there are widespread rumors that Steve Martin is Mormon {he isn't}.  Gladys Knight is Mormon.  Harry Reid and Glenn Beck are both Mormon...  Elvis?  OK, i should admit to you that i do know Elvis has had his temple work done.  And that i also know he is entered in the genealogy data base as Elvis.  You don't have to know much to know that wasn't even his real name.  I'm not saying that there are no dumb Mormons.  Hah!  I bet there were a few laughing, twisting and shouting, angels surrounding that proxy baptism.  I'm certain Elvis was not hurt or harmed or even offended by the silly tribute to his fame.  I personally apologize on behalf of all stupid Mormon's if any of Elvis' relatives are offended by this action.  Sorry.  Elvis was the king.
1 Corinthians 15:29 says "What shall they then do who are baptized for the dead if the dead rise not at all?"

3.  Much like taking the sacrament, the act of physically being baptized for another person (in water, by immersion) is not only a way to turn your thoughts to your ancestors, but also a great way to remind you of the covenants you have made.  There is NO physical dead person, just their name.  We are baptized for Jane Doe, who has died.  That's it.  No one is hurt or defamed.  It is actually quite bonding and connecting.  As I have done temple work for my ancestors I can sometimes feel them near me.  I love them more and feel loved by them more.  For me, going to the temple is much like "renewing my vows".  It is beautiful and holy, peaceful and simple-- not weird.

(Note- I'm just talking about this because it was referenced in the New York Times article and i thought it was a stupid reference.  In the temple everyone is dressed in white.  It feels like heaven- equal and reverent and holy.  Teenagers in our church are allowed to come into the temple to do baptisms.  When you are baptized for someone else you wear a white jumper and are dunked in a beautiful font of water for a list of people.  When i was younger they discouraged menstruating girls from being baptized.  Once tampons became more prevalent they stopped that recommendation.  Um, this was NOT because Mormons are degrading to females.  It was not because, like in many Indian religious ceremonies, menstruating women were considered dirty.  It was just because these girls were in the water for a few minutes wearing white while others were watching.  Hello!  Please don't make it seem dirty.)

4.  Mormons do NOT believe proxy baptism will turn these people MORMON.  Nope.  When we are dead there will not be Mormon, Jew, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, etc..  There will be ONE faith, ONE God, ONE truth.  I'm not even dead yet and I already see that God is the same no matter what name you call Him.  Mormons do believe that by performing a proxy ordinance we are doing a service- providing an opportunity for someone, when they are dead, to accept or reject that ordinance that may be required for salvation.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN MORMONISM WHO CARES?!!!
i can honestly, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt say-- that in 100 years from now, when I am dead, IF i have a great granddaughter that is Hindu and she feels that by saying my name in a religious ceremony she is somehow helping me on the other side, she will have my blessing.
if someone today, in the Catholic church, wanted to take TWO HOURS of their life (that is how long it takes for ONE name to go through the temple), to light a candle for me, or say a Hail Mary for me-- I would be grateful.
please think of me, pray for me, write my name on your prayer lists.
i am honored and grateful.
what does it hurt?
I want to ask Elie Weisel if he thinks his ancestors would be more offended that Mormon's have their names on our genealogical records or that he is publicly making such a big deal about it?

5.  MOST RELIGIONS BELIEVE THAT WITHOUT BAPTISM INTO THEIR CHURCH PEOPLE WILL BURN IN HELL. Mormon's DON'T. 
and you think we're the offensive ones??
The Catholic church teaches you will be damned unless you are baptized before you die.
Even really good people, even babies...
The Baptist Church teaches that too-- baptism is essential.
You are saved by confessing that Jesus is the Christ and without that you are condemned.
I believe MOST churches believe that.
Elie Weisel should ask Rick Santorum or the newly converted Newt Gingrich why they haven't spoken to Catholic authorities about the fact that they think his ancestors are currently burning in hell.
{Even as i write this i hope you know that i am not condemning what other churches believe... I'm just saying MORMON'S are NOT that different or weird.  We aren't.  I wish the media would stop acting like we are this CULT because we differ from many other religions on a few doctrinal beliefs.  We're not that different.}
We agree that baptism is essential and baptism for the dead is a way to be both JUST and MERCIFUL.
There CAN NOT be GODLY, MERCIFUL and JUST judgement until after there is GODLY, MERCIFUL and JUST opportunity.
and, in this life, there is NOT equal opportunity.  there isn't.
even if some missionary (mormon or baptist or any other religion) knocks on your door and you slam the door in their face, do you think that means you rejected Christ?
no way!  true rejection can not come without true understanding.
there is no way that everyone on Earth has been given a JUST opportunity to choose Christ before they die.
but, i believe, there will come a time that EVERYONE will bow before their Creator and they will KNOW for themselves and they will have to CHOOSE Him as their Savior or reject His saving grace.
it will be JUST and MERCIFUL and it will be heaven.

6.  Mormons have an idea of Heaven that is much more INCLUSIVE than most religions.
this is one of my FAVORITE doctrines of our church.
Babies who die without baptism are NOT damned.
Children who die without baptism are NOT damned.
(Actually, we believe that babies, children under the age of accountability, and those who are mentally unable to repent are all automatically saved when they die.  They don't even require baptism by proxy.)

My whole life (prior to joining and understanding the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormon church) I grappled with the question--
How is it FAIR that so many GOOD people, who die without ever learning about Christ, will go to HELL because they haven't accepted Him as their Savior and been baptized?
How is that FAIR?
How could a God do that to His children, who he loves?
Really-- everyone in China is damned eternally?
Every Jew who was killed in the Holocaust is damned eternally?
Every baby who died before his/her head was sprinkled with holy water will burn in hell?
REALLY?
You think Mormonism is weird?
Well, i think you're great, but i think condemning newborns to hell is weird.
I LOVE TEMPLES!!
I love the idea that there isn't just EARTH, judgement, and then HEAVEN or HELL.
there is a time, after we die, where everyone will meet.
Where we will be taught TRUTH.
Where we will be given the opportunity to ACCEPT CHRIST or REJECT CHRIST.
We believe this is the place that Christ went after He was crucified and before He was resurrected...
1 Peter 3:18-20 and 1 Peter 4:6

I love the idea that even though BAPTISM IS ESSENTIAL for eternal exaltation EVERYONE will be given the opportunity to accept or reject it.
Let's talk about Jews.
Mormons LOVE Jews.
i'm sorry if this is offensive to Jews.
But, because the concept of baptism for the dead is offensive to Jewish leaders i have heard repeated counsel for our church leaders not to do temple work for those who died in the holocaust unless they are in our direct ancestral line.
Maybe Elie Weisel has a member of his extended family that is Mormon and submitted his parents name?
i have thought A LOT about this.
i am the only member of my church in all of my father's family.
i know that none of them are very excited about me doing temple work for my grandparents or great-grandparents.
no one has specifically asked me NOT to do their work- but i haven't asked their permission.
honestly, they are MY grandparents... and this is my belief.
i am not defaming their grave, digging up their body, or even changing anything that they left.
if i choose to take my time and think of them as i sit in a beautiful room, dressed in a white dress, feeling reverent and prayerful and loving and spiritual and hopeful...
then i am going to do it.
i can't tell you the HEALING that has occurred as i have learned more about my ancestors.
i have pictures and stories to tell my children.
not only my family has been blessed- my extended family has been blessed as i've found ellis island records and places in Italy where my ancestors lived.
the actual temple work is a small part of our belief.
the CENTER of our belief-- families are eternal.

i will never forget one line my aunt wrote, "I'm sure that wherever my mother is right now, she can work out her own salvation without anyone's help."
i replied, "I don't believe we can be saved alone.  I think I need her and she needs me."
i'm not sure my aunt even remembers that conversation but i have never forgotten it... because it is what i believe.
we need each other.
the hearts of the children are turned to their fathers and the hearts of the fathers are turned to their children.
this is what Mormon temples are all about.
Temple work is NOT about thinking we are BETTER than everyone else, or thinking we are converting everyone else... temple work is a service that we are doing on earth for those who have passed on.
and, as we serve, we are changed.
It certainly isn't HURTING them in any way, and even if we are wasting our time performing ordinances that are not needed-- we are changed in the process.
Changed for the better.

I believe, that on the Earth today there are SO MANY really great people who are trying to do what is good and right.
I believe that there are so many different religions and so many different paths to goodness that even though we are all similar, we are separate.
I have NO DOUBT, that someday, after we die, we will kneel before our Maker and He will ask us if we WANT to join Him for eternity.
We will say YES and we will find our friends and family surrounding Him in holy courts on high.
There is one God and one Truth.
Family is forever.

7. Mormons do believe that this life is the time to prepare to meet God, and we WILL be judged on our works in this life.
Although I have a tendency to focus on all the happy, saved part of our doctrine-- there is another side.
We do believe that you will be judged by your works here on earth.
Christ will be the judge.
"Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God.  Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world."  Alma 34:34
so that means that even though EVERYONE will be given an opportunity to accept or reject Christ-- not everyone will accept Him.
People who are evil here, will still choose evil there.
People who have chosen good here, will choose good there.
I'm certain that, although Mormons are quick to over-do CS Lewis' temple work there are not 20 proxy baptisms for Adolf Hitler.  (just sayin')
and Elvis-- well, he ain't nothin but a hound dog... (hah! ok, maybe i'm a little bit weird.)
Mostly, baptism for the dead will benefit people who lived GOOD lives on the earth who will choose good in the next life.
We don't judge- that's Christ job... but we do recognize that just because everyone will be given an opportunity to accept Christ that doesn't mean that they all will.
Especially if they didn't accept Him on the Earth.
does this make sense?  (i'm not sure if i want you to answer that...)
so, it makes sense to me that Mormons, who love Elie Weisel, and Helen Keller, and George Washington, and their great-grandmother would want to do temple work for them.
it isn't demeaning.
it honestly shouldn't affect them at all-- unless of course they are dead and are waiting for the ordinance of baptism.

Do you believe that ordinances are essential for someone to enter Heaven?
Do you believe one must be saved, or be baptized in this life to live with God again?
Do you think that the Dali Llama is going to be cast out of God's presence forever because he wasn't Christian?
Do you think that an all  loving God would condemn people who were never given an opportunity, in this life, to know Him, to accept Him, to be baptized?

Yes, I believe in being baptized for dead people.
In fact, if I love you, when you die I would want to write your name down on a piece of paper and be baptized for you.
(Church guidelines say you must wait over a year after someone's death to do temple work for them and they should be in your own family line.)
Not because I think you are less than me, but because i think we are the same.
because i think the God that you worship is the same God that i worship.
because i don't think you are going to die and convert to Mormonism, i think we are both going to die and convert to God's church.
i think baptism by one who holds priesthood authority is essential for salvation.
i believe that on the earth today, Mormons have the priesthood authority-- authority from God to perform eternal ordinances.
Prior to Christ's coming and the great apostasy, the Jews held that authority.
When Christ was killed there was widespread corruption and the authority was taken from the earth.
Catholics believe they have the direct line of authority from Christ.
Mormons believe there was a falling away during the dark ages, and a restoration to the prophet Joseph Smith.
Mormons also believe that during the time of apostasy many great and righteous men began to SEE the corruption in the Catholic church and started their own branches of truth.
These protestant churches were founded on truth, but missing the authority from God.
Although they are full of goodness, they are not organized the way Christ taught us over and over that His church would be organized-- with a prophet and apostles.
Mormons believe that a young boy, in Palmyra New York named Joseph Smith, prayed to know which church he was to join and received a heavenly vision.
He was not only taught by angels, he received the PRIESTHOOD- power and authority to administer eternal ordinances.  John the Baptist restored the authority to baptize to Joseph Smith.

i'm sorry if you think Mormons are offensive because we perform baptisms by proxy for people who have passed on.
to me, this doctrine is not offensive or demeaning-- it is unifying and loving.
i have performed many temple ordinances-- and i will tell you the FRUITS of my experience.
1.  I remember my own covenants and I am recommitted to live faithfully.
2.  I am filled with love for those who have come before me.
3.  I am reminded that FAMILY is eternal and i am recommitted to strengthening my family bonds on Earth.
4.  I am reminded that God is loving and merciful and eternal.
I feel peace knowing that EVERYONE will someday be given an opportunity to accept Him or reject Him.  there will be an equal opportunity and i am filled with conviction that most of us will choose to follow Him and be saved.
I really believe this.
I really love this doctrine.
I really believe that the Mormon concept of baptism for the dead is way more kind and inclusive and merciful than what most religions believe.
I'm sorry if it is offensive or weird to you.

If you have any questions about what i believe i would be happy to try to answer them.
i'm not trying to convert anyone to my religion-- but i am trying to say that i am not evil.
my religion may not be the same as yours, but it is not evil.
that's all.
thank you. thank you very much...


You can read the follow-up blog here-- baptism for the dead- revisited.

11 comments:

The Wife said...

LOVE IT! And I love that you aren't concise. :)

Kristine said...

I too believe that we worship the same God even though we are from different religions, as a Catholic i too believe that babies and small children will not be damned if they are not baptized before they die. I don't think proxy baptisms are strange, thank you for sharing. will keep you in my prayers :)

jenifer said...

thank you for your comments!! i must admit i'm a bit nervous how this post will be received. Kristine- you are my friend. (Most of my mother's family are also Catholics- and they are saintly. I know that many of them have issues with the Catholic doctrine of original sin also.)
I really do believe that at the CORE we are ALL much more similar in our beliefs than we sometimes appear.
thank you for reading and for your comments.

Amy said...

Wow, I wish I could say things as simply and beautiful as you do. Thank you for sharing this. My parents joined when I was a baby so I have never been without this Church. I can honestly say that I've always known what you said in your post but just didn't know how to say it. Thanks for having the courage to say out loud what many of us feel but don't know how to say without it coming out the wrong way! :)

Kristine said...

It was a lovely post and will continue to read your blog- no pressure please lol. Have a great day ! ;-)

valerie in TX said...

hey friend, I'm not Baptist, but just FYI - they don't believe you will go to hell if you're not baptized, and definitely not babies. They believe, like most protestants: "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Rom. 10:9

I can't say I believe that everyone worships the same god - many do not worship the true God of the Bible - and Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6 There is only one path - Jesus is the only way to be saved.

love you! :)

AJ said...

Wonderful, so well written. Thanks for your testimony!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I came across your blog and I have to tell you that Catholics do not believe unbaptized babies go to hell. I know this because I am a cradle Catholic and I just had my daughter baptized last year. In her baptism class, they taught us that this has never been the belief of the church (more of a culural misunderstanding...something you as a Mormon understand, I'm sure, because you're all polygamists and wear prairie dresses, right? :)) Just wanted to clear this up!

jenifer said...

i know!!! i wrote this blog late at night when i was passionately trying to explain that i believe in temple work and i'm not crazy or weird or uniformed.
i know i could have made my point without trying to say what i think other churches believe.
i didn't need to be so harsh.
turns out there are reformed catholics and southern baptists... baptism is a major issue in other religions internal discussion.
i've learned a lot as i've looked up online sources.
i'm sorry that i wasn't more informed before i started my RANT!!
i thought about EDITING my post but i think this deserves a whole follow up post.
and, if i wasn't having so much fun in the snow with my kids, i would have posted it sooner.
stay tuned...
i apologize if i offended anyone when i was UPSET that everyone else is always offending me.
duh...

John said...

When I was about 12, baptism for the dead was a big one on my list for why I know the church is true. I always thought that God wouldn't require something for heaven if He didn't make it available to everyone.

I did have a Catholic woman tell me that the baby I miscarried was going to hell because it was not baptized before it died. But that is the only Catholic person I have ever meant that truly believes that. Most practicing Catholics I meet, I feel like are my brothers and sisters in Christ as much as my Fellow members of the church of Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

Valerie in tx is right Jen. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...