June 09, 2014

A better life.

"I believe when we determine within our hearts that by and with the blessings of God our Heavenly Father we will accomplish a certain labor, God gives the ability to accomplish that labor; but when we lay down, when we become discouraged, when we look at the top of the mountain and say it is impossible to climb to the summit, while we never make an effort it will never be accomished." 
Heber J. Grant
(Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant 2002, 37.)

I don't want to lay down- I want to climb!
Can you feel God blessing you with His power?  I can.
A happy home and a life full of peace and joy, is possible!!

Today my list of "To Be" is longer than my list of "Is Currently".
Somehow, God hears my gentle pleadings and He makes me enough,  he expands me.  He forgives me.  He strengthens my feeble knees.

I feel the power of God in my life.
He saves and inspires me.

There is a part of me that yearns for nicer clothes, more money, new furniture, a little vacation getaway.
I wish I didn't yearn for worldly things.

Sometimes, I get caught in the rut of numb avoidance that robs me of restful completion.

I want to be better.
I want to have an eye single to the glory of God.
What does this look like?

I think it looks like a family that teaches with love, patience and long-suffering.
I think it looks like a week focused on loving and serving, where my home is gently cared for and my children don't have to knock on the locked bathroom door while my bathroom break morphs into a Facebook chat.  

I think it looks less like 'finding myself' and more like 'loosing myself'.

I believe my focus should be on children who are clean, orderly, kind and obedient more than having children dressed in the latest fashions.  My focus would be more on my ability to serve others, than how my eyebrows are tinted or plucked.  

Anyone can spend time, effort and money to make their outside beautiful.  It takes what money cannot buy to make your inside shine.

I want my home to be a holy place.
I want my family to feel loved, taught, cherished, nurtured, and protected.
I want to do and say things that are kind and good.
I believe these things are possible only with divine grace, daily effort, and a cycle of repentance and forgiveness.

"I have been quoted as saying 'Do the best you can.'  But I want to emphasize that it be the very best.  We are too prone to be satisfied with mediocre performance.  We are capable of doing so much better."
Gordon B. Hinckley
Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting
Jan 10, 2004, 2
Make your life good today!
Let us love more.
Let us serve more.
Let us do good.
We can do more than we think we can, and we can do it with wisdom and order.
Our lives can be full of good.
I know it.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Better late than never to accept that I am enough, but always wanting to be and to do better. Thank you, Jen, for reminding me of this. ❤️

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...