June 11, 2014

The day Toothpaste died.

(This was a picture of him alive yesterday- a bit tilted...)
Toothpaste died this morning.
He was a duck that had been dropped off at our house after his family got run over while crossing the street.
He was a bit paralyzed on one side, so I believe he had some internal injuries.
Sweet baby.
He had a happy, loved, too short life.
Yes, we cried.
His burial is scheduled for tonight after school.  (Just to give enough time to be sure he doesn't resurrect- we've had two "dead" chickens pop-up fine after a little rest.  Ha!  Oh, my life.  You can't make this stuff up.)

The world around me is blooming and beautiful.
My yard smells like late-blooming lilacs, azeleas, and magnolias.  (At least I think that's what we have... I need to learn up on these flowers.)
It is beautiful here.
My kids swam yesterday, they played, they mowed happily, they cared for animals and I was overwhelmed again by the simple elegance of my ordinarily extraordinary life.

Anna had me look out my bathroom balcony as I was getting Ben ready for bed.
You could see the chicken in the barn yard, two cows in the pasture, and the dog in the yard.
What a fun life we have.

My kids are still in school!! (Till June 25th?!)
I am finally ready and very excited for them to be HOME.
How grateful I am for a life and home that  is full and good.

I loved this quote I read this morning from a book, "Covenant Motherhood" by Stephanie Dibb Sorenson. (4)

Elder Maxwell taught,
"The divine delight in what seems to us to be mere repetition is one clue to the sublime character of God.  Since we must, at times, accept what appears to us to be routine, repeated experiences, we too, if we try, can find fresh meaning and fresh joy in the repeated experiences.  God's course is one eternal round but it is not one monotonous round.  God is never bored, for one who has perfect love is never bored.  There is always so much to notice, so much to do, so many ways to help, so many possibilities to pursue."

Repetition is a divine pattern of molding and creating, even evolving.
I am become a new, refined, holy person as I endure and enjoy my days.
I LOVE this life!
I love being a mother.
I don't physically "exercise" yet, but I absolutely love the physical and spiritual fulfillment I feel at the end of a holy, beautiful day.

There is joy is loosing yourself.
There is peace and growth in the repetitive tasks of life.
Today- I'm grateful for one more meal, one more grocery list, one more pile of shoes to sort, one more emotional tween to listen to.  

(Oh, the joy of 5th grade love notes from a silly boy hidden in the locker "Meet me in the kissing tower tomorrow at recess.  Should I go?" And, the next night "I decided to go and he never showed up."  Sigh.  Sing with me- "Growing up is hard to do..." Silly girl- I'm afraid we've all sat alone in the kissing tower a time or two, unfortunately.  And NO!  I did not tell her to go, but some must learn by sitting alone.)

Let us make a beautiful life for our children.
A house of peace and order is more powerful in shaping generations than any drug, weapon, curriculum, or government.

"We live in a world of uncertainty.  Never has there been a greater need for righteous mothers-- mothers who bless their children with a sense of safety, security, and confidence about the future, mothers who teach their children where to find peace and truth and that the power of Jesus Christ is always stronger than the power of the adversary.  Every time we build the faith or reinforce the nobility of a young woman or man, every time we love or lead anyone even one small step along the path, we are true to our endowment and calling as mothers and in the process we build the kingdom of God. 
Sheri Dew, Covenant Motherhood (24)

Mothers are powerful!
Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

The Perry Family said...

Oh, how I loved me some She-Ra! hahaha

Cally said...

Have you ever read the book "Chickens in the Headlights" by Matthew Buckley. It's a must. Your recent posts have reminded me a lot of that book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...