September 29, 2008

seeds vs. harvest...

Burping Lily-- Never Done... Lasagna-- created, complete and edible Sweet Leah-- notice the black eye...
NEVER done... always hungry, loves books, loves Barney, loves babies... still growing...

Cookies-- mixed, baked, eaten, photographed, dishes almost cleaned up... Created and Consumed in one afternoon...

Last Saturday we had a General Relief Society Meeting... for all those of you reading this who aren't Mormon, this is when all the women of the church come together to listen to talks given by the women leaders and a member of the first presidency-- usually these are my favorite talks because they are completely aimed at women...

I LOVED the talk by President Dieter Uckdorf... (you have to click on the media player because they don't have the transcript up yet). He spoke about happiness, God's Happiness. Specifically he talked about two attributes of God-- Creation and Compassion. As we develop these qualities we can enjoy some of the happiness that He enjoys. (Well, this was my synopsis...) The thing that I LOVE about this, is that he spoke MY UNDERSTANDING... I have already learned that when I CREATE things something magical happens... I feel happy. Being a mother, we are harvesting a late harvest... we plant seeds in our children that may take 2o years to mature. We cook, we clean, we teach, we pray, everything we do over and over again and really we don't see the harvest for a long time. For me, sewing or quilting or making something or blogging or trying a new recipe, is therapeutic... at the end of the day I actually have something that I can hold and look at. Something finished and complete. My children are works in process-- it's nice to hold a quilt in the mean time and know that although the kids are still growing, I finished something today. Today, I have six seeds that I watered and nurtured... and, I created cookies and lasagna... AMAZING!!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk also! He was amazing and I especially loved the part on creating something beautiful. That is what we spend our lives doing! I love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...