August 29, 2011
she refused to open her mouth.
we have the NICEST, NICEST dentist ever.
he's a dad, with daughters.
after much coaxing and encouraging and explaining and bribing (i tried everything)...
we LEFT the office with all our teeth still in our mouth.
anna was VERY scared.
i was kicking myself that i hadn't prepared her better for this experience.
we talked on the way home.
she asked if i was mad at her.
i told her i was very disappointed.
but, that i was mostly sad for her.
because i knew she could do hard things.
we talked about different strategies when dealing with pain and fear.
(pulling the teeth wouldn't hurt, just getting the numbing shots might hurt a bit.)
i told her about labor, and blood transfusions, and how her aunt rebekah had chemo and radiation.
we discussed mental things that she could tell herself to replace the scared thoughts going through her mind.
1. That she could remember the doctor was kind and trying to help her.
(I told her that I always imagined love pouring out of the doctor's hands into my mouth.)
2. That even if it was horrible, it would be finished by dinner time. (Shorter than a movie.)
4. She could hum a song.
5. She could think the very worst-- that she'd die. And still, it wouldn't be that bad (she'd be in Heaven).
7. She could remember that a little pain now would save her a lot of pain later (her tooth was a baby tooth that had gotten infected).
8. She could think about how happy she would feel when she was finished.
10. She could count to ten and the hard part would probably be finished.
11. That NO MATTER WHAT-- she just needed to keep her mouth OPEN!!!
She could scream, she could cry, she could squeeze my hand-- she just needed to keep that mouth open wide.
I told Anna that she should come with us and take Drew's spot.
I told her that it was her choice.
That I would pray for her, and that her dad could give her a blessing.
The next morning she said she wanted to do it.
I gave her my ipod with church music on it.
She got a blessing, and we said a family prayer for her and drew.
anna went first...