May 05, 2013

Day 5- A Reverent Life

My physical situation makes me ever so aware of how the mental affects your physical.

I've noticed how careful we need to be about what we allow into our lives. Plainly spoken, TV is full of really disturbing things. Just turning on Fox News brings horrible stories of real evil- from the Jodi Arius story, to the Boston bombing, to horrific abortion clinics. It seems like most tv shows are about some sort of killing or crime. Blah! Why?! Why do we allow evil more time in our minds?

I found myself watching, looking for some sense of morality or remorse-- what I saw was akin to Nazi soldiers who justified inhumane, awful actions as their duty. It is sad. I can feel the difference in my room when I allow negativity to enter. I can feel peace return when I listen to good music, laugh, learn about good people or things, or just feel the quiet.
The difference is physical and emotional.

People who walk into my room all make funny comments like- there is such an aura in your room, I feel peace here, your family is so cheerful, you have the happiest family I've ever seen (just from pictures). The nurses and CNA come on and stay-- they sit and say, "I love being here, I want to stay all day". We talk about family and church and cry together. I know they are feeling the Spirit in my room- and it is a real, physical, healing force.

I'm not telling you that to brag-- it's not me, just something I'm observing. Sitting alone allows me to feel these differences so clearly. It is not just TV- but TV does fill the space so fully. We don't have tv at our house and I'm just surprised at tv's ability to change my mood. Outside influences, even commercials, just open the door for our own negative thoughts and fears to drown out our peace and hope.

Almost without exception, any down times I've had can be traced to choices I've made. Similarly, good things can bring back that peaceful hope quickly if ever I'm down. It's a physical difference. Wow.

I listened to a great BYU devotional called, Living a Reverent Life by Donald Hallstrom. It was beautiful and described what I'm experiencing. Whether you are religious or not, there is peace and health in quiet contemplation. We all need to shut out the business and breathe fresh air, really see the sunrises, take time to talk with and see the good people around us, and feel the goodness of life. There is so much goodness.

I'm grateful for my quiet afternoons.
I got to go outside today!! It was a beautiful day to sit and feel and read.

I finished the country sampler I started my senior year of high school- 18 years ago, when I was 18. I remember stitching it while Todd and I were engaged. My how time flies! My life has doubled since then. In the past 18 years I have finished this sampler and grown up a lot.

Time to start a new project for this next stage of my life.

Have a beautiful Sunday!
(I'm so excited and nervous to see my kids!)

Enjoy more iPhone pics...
(gotta love that inspirational Betty Neal book!)










1 comment:

Birrd said...

This post really resonated with many things I have been thinking about lately. You are right: why should we allow evil more time on our minds? I love it that you are able to spread your reverent, peaceful influence with the hospital staff. What a blessing the teachings of the Gospel are, especially in times of difficulty. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I'm grateful I stumbled upon your blog today off a facebook post and I am going to begin praying for you and your baby and your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...