March 31, 2014

37. It's my birthday.

I don't like when people hear it's my birthday and say, "How old are you? 29 again."
Um, no thank you.
I'm proud to be 37 and I wouldn't repeat 29 if I could.
I think 37 sounds restful and wise and boring.
I think I'm going to like 37.

I'm emotional this year.
I'm REALLY glad I'm seeing 37.
36 was a tough one.
I still imagine my little ones celebrating today without me here, and it rips my heart out.

So, I feel privileged to blow out candles and I get teary when people sing to me.
I think birthdays are miraculous and I'll never, ever complain about getting old.  Because old is what I want to be when I grow up.

I have gobs of doctor appointments today.  I'm hoping to turn a year older and loose a drain and a catheter.  But, if not-- I'd rather be 37 with a catheter than eternally 36 without one.

I don't have anything profound to say.  
Looking around at my life, it is not quite what I imagined it would be at 37.

We still have too many student loans.
We drive a van.
Our furniture is very used.
Our kitchen table is too small for our family.
I still buy my clothes from Target clearance racks.
I'm old, but I feel 14.
I often look at my family and think- "Wow, we have a lot of kids."
My house is never as clean as I wish it was, my kids are never as well-mannered as I know they could be.

I have a patience with life that I always admired but never understood.
I am married to my absolute best friend in the world.
I'm completely impressed at the people my children are growing up to be.
I really like people.
I think I know God.  
I'm not easily worried or stressed.
I'm a hard worker.
I laugh every day.
I'm loved and I love many.
I really like my life.

At 37, I'm living my dream.
This is my happily ever after.
It is way better than I ever imagined it could be, and exponentially harder than I ever imagined it would be.

Today is a great day to be alive.
I wish for 37, 57, even 87.
I want to be old and grey.
Because, I really like this life.
I really like the people I get to share my life with.
Thank you for celebrating 37 with me.
It's going to be a good one!

10 comments:

Debbi said...

Happy birthday! So glad you are here to celebrate it and recovering!

Pam said...

So happy for you. I feel happy and grateful for every day/year the Good Lord see fit to give me!

I hope you had a fabulous day!

Love, hugs and prayers, Pam

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday!

Kajsa Pace said...

Happy Birthday! Hope all good things come your way this year.

Steph said...

Happy birthday to an amazing 37-year-old. You have always inspired me to be better!

Marie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Jen! We are all celebrating your special day...❤️
What a glorious birthday gift it will be if you get to lose all your "accessories" and return to "indoor plumbing"! 😆
I truly believe it is no coincidence that the two strongest and most influential women in my life (you and my mom) have birthdays so close together... Just sayin'.
Have a beautiful day! ❤️

Shauna Thompson said...

Happy Birthday to an AWESOME 37 year old!!!

Lorraine said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is how I feel about being 37, too. 38 is coming up for me, and I think it's going to be a little harder... :)

Evaly said...

Hope it was a good one! Your husband's post was very sweet.

Rebekah said...

favorite part:
"Because old is what I want to be when I grow up."

Happy Birthday, Jen.
I love you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...