January 11, 2014

I believe in a living prophet.


When I read the scriptures, I see patterns. Throughout time God has called prophets and spoken through them to men on Earth.
Why would He change?  We need Him now as much as they needed Him then.

This morning I read a talk given by a prophet of God just a few months ago.  He spoke to my soul.  (I'm certain this talk was written just for me.)  Actually, he spoke the same words that God has been whispering to me this past year.

I do believe in prophets.
This is what our prophet said to me...

"Our Heavenly Father, who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass. We know that there are times when we will experience heartbreaking sorrow, when we will grieve, and when we may be tested to our limits. However, such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were—better than we were, more understanding than we were, more empathetic than we were, with stronger testimonies than we had before.

"This should be our purpose—to persevere and endure, yes, but also to become more spiritually refined as we make our way through sunshine and sorrow. Were it not for challenges to overcome and problems to solve, we would remain much as we are, with little or no progress toward our goal of eternal life. The poet expressed much the same thought in these words:

"Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger wind, the stronger trees.
The further sky, the greater length.
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.8

"Only the Master knows the depths of our trials, our pain, and our suffering. He alone offers us eternal peace in times of adversity. He alone touches our tortured souls with His comforting words:

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”9

"Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change."

Read the whole talk "I will not fail thee or forsake thee." Here- http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/i-will-not-fail-thee-nor-forsake-thee?lang=eng

1 comment:

Evaly said...

This has been the hardest year of my life and I have found myself wishing there was another way to learn! Yet, trying to accept His will. Thank you for sharing this today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...